Happy New Year’s Eve! Before we jump into 2018, I wanted to a round-up of the best of 2017. It was a big year–I moved from Seattle to Chicago and visited over a dozen different states! Here, my top five favorites of the year, followed by your five favorites (got any specific favorites? I’d love to hear!). Read on:
1. I moved from a Puget Sound adjacent neighborhood in Seattle to a Lake Michigan adjacent neighborhood in Chicago (am I fond of water? Yes). Check out The Best of Ballard for my old neighborhood favorites!
2. One benefit of Chicago is being so close to the East Coast. I had fun getting back to Vermont this fall (I worked there after I graduated college!) and look forward to more trips. Check out my two Vermont posts: Views of Vermont and Covered Bridges.
4. One of my favorite places to explore from Seattle is the islands of Puget Sound. One of them? Whidbey Island. I compiled a little photo essay, Coupeville: Whidbey Island’s History Through Architecture.
5. I spent some time back in Nevada (Home Means Nevada!). I enjoyed rediscovering some of the buildings I grew up with in a new light. Check out: The Building That Reached for the Stars and Thinking Outside the Box(office).
So what were the reader favorites? By the numbers:
- Exploring Suburbia’s Roots: Riverside, Illinois (got so much local feedback on this one, I loved it!)
- If You Ask Frank Lloyd Wright for Tudor Revival
- The Motels of the Great American Road Trip (also a favorite of mine!)
- The Best of Ballard (and Big News!)
- Chicago’s Wood Alleys (you guys have good taste)
I love taking pictures of architecture everywhere I travel, and I was excited to see the diversity of locations that appeared in my top ten Instagrams this year! (Check out my Instagram here.)
Locations, left to right and top to bottom: Riverside, IL; Chicago, IL; Portland, OR; Oak Park, IL; Oak Park, IL; Seattle, WA; Tampa, FL; Oak Park, IL; Coupeville, WA.
Thanks for following along and happy new year!
What was I up to last year? Check out the Best of 2016 here.